Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Not My Mama's Cornbread!


   This week in Southern Home Cooking, we are going to look at a southern staple; cornbread.   Why cornbread?  Well, because it goes with most anything, is easy to make and makes a great addition to an ordinary meal.   Plus, you can dress it up a ton of different ways, like we are going to do this week, or you can leave it plain and it’s still fantastic. 

   In the southern tradition, cornbread can be made numerous different ways and was often prepared using what was available.  Some recipes call for buttermilk, some for milk, some with two eggs, some with only one and many with and without the use of wheat flour.  Those without wheat flour are generally referred to as corn pone.

   Baking is as varied as the recipes.  Sometimes the bread or pone is done in a cast iron skillet by heating lard (rendered pig fat) in the pan and pouring the mixture into the hot oil and then baking on an open fire.  Sometimes it’s done by placing it a loaf pan, sometimes a baking pan and others in muffin pans. 

   I prefer muffin method with a bit of wheat flour mixed in with the corn meal.  It doesn’t seem to crumble as much and it is easier to get the butter and honey or molasses on a muffin.  When you prepare it, try a few different methods to see which you like best. 

   Cornbread did not originate with European settlers to the South.  They got if from the Native Americans.  As you may well know, corn was a staple food for Native Americans and they had hundreds of ways to prepare it.  From those humble beginnings, the methods were adapted to what was more familiar in the European culture and cornbread became a staple of the South.  Cornbread even has its own book, The Cornbread Gospels by Crescent Dragonwagon.

   I promised to show one of my favorite embellished cornbread’s so here goes…. this week I made mine with jalapenos and cheese!  This type would generally be considered a southwest embellishment and is popular in Texas and Oklahoma. I have found this in Louisiana as well and it pairs well with Cajun foods, chili and things that generally have a tomato base.  That region is known for tomatoes and peppers, so it makes sense that the cornbread would include and pair well with things that contain them.

   Other embellishments are creamed corn, red peppers and Mexican style cheese, cream cheese, chili powder, chunked hot dogs, blueberries or blackberries and even breakfast sausage… the list can go on and on and is only limited by the imagination.

   To start, make your cornbread in accordance with the recipe below then add about ¾ cup of shredded cheese, I prefer cheddar, and chopped jalapeno peppers to taste.  I find that the pickled sliced “nacho slices” work best, but fresh work too.  I used about one pepper’s worth (1/4 cup) in my recipe and chopped them in small bits so they mix in well.  Canned diced peppers also work well.

   Once your “embellishments” are added, bake like you normally would at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 

Below is the recipe I like to use and is the one I got from my Mom, who got it from her Mom and so on.



1 cup of cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup white sugar

½ teaspoon salt

1 egg
¼ cup oil (or melted butter) *

1 cup of milk (or buttermilk) *



Add them all together and mix until all the liquid is absorbed

*(the butter and buttermilk will give your cornbread a much more cake-like consistency)

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, then spoon your batter into either greased muffin tins or tins with paper shells and then bake for 15-20 minutes. 
Let them cool a bit and then ENJOY!










6 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I love cornbread and jalepeno and this sounds so good and doesn't look too hard to make. I like how you are writing about Southern food because I feel like a lot of people love it but they don't know how to make it. I'm super excited to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be my favorite Blog so far. I like the way you describe how to make the recipe but while also adding facts about the recipe also. Adding where it is most popular does give it that relation to which part of the south influences it the most. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog, especially because I love southern food! This cornbread looks mouth watering (literally)! This looks easy and quick to make also which always makes it more convenient! I am excited to read the rest of your blog and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, that looks good! I shall definitely be attempting to make this!! The instructions are nice and clear, and I enjoyed the history added in!! Looking forward to some more delicious posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only read two posts and already my mouth is watering from this blog, and it is just the beginning. I'm going to have to attempt the corn bread for sure. Any chances of you bringing samples to share with the class? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really went above and beyond on your blog. I love how together it looks. I enjoyed hearing about your blog in class you seem very passionate about cooking. It's very important to write about something you are passionate about. Yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete